Tuesday 9 April 2013

Weird and Wonderful Munchies

I'm certainly no foodie but I really like food and another thing travel has given me is the opportunity to eat some pretty wacky and delicious stuff that I'd never get to try back home.

Tea (Various)
Not that crazy but I have a whole new appreciation for tea and never would of dreamed there was so much variety out there!
Fruit and loose leaf hibiscus tea
Image @ etsy
Doesn't really taste too much like tea, made out of flowers and fruit. once you're done drinking it you can eat the fruit to making it a sort of snack at the same time.

Seaweed and salt 'kombucha' tea
Image https://wawaza.com/products/Kelp-Root-%26-Sea-Salt-Japanese-%22Kombucha%22-Seaweed-Tea,-50g.html
It sounds disgusting if you don't like seaweed but it was much more soup than tea and it was yummy!

Blooming tea
 Image @  www.aliexpress.com

A flower emerges from these tea balls when they make contact with water, not tasty but really beautiful.

Bubble tea
 Image @ Bubble Tea
This high calorie beverage looks pretty wacky as it has tapioca balls floating around inside it and tastes more like juice than tea but it's fun and delicious. Just don't drink too much of it unless your aim is to look like a bubble.

Street food (Various)
Looks like an health inspection fail but passes in the mouth!



Fried Insects (Various)
Crunchy on the outside and hollow on the inside, they sound and look a lot worse than they taste, which is actually of very little. Very strange but maybe it's more stranger that I'd eat them again.


Ice Cream (Japan)
Ice cream is serious business in japan. if it can be eaten, drunk or smelt I'm pretty sure there's a flavour for it at Ice Cream City, sunshine city, Ikebukuro. Named by National Geographic as one of the top 10 places in the world to eat ice cream, it houses over 300 flavours and with everything from sea weed to lavender it can be as scrummy or strange as you fancy it to be. For someone like me this place was as much a hell as it was heaven, I just couldn't decide what I wanted but in the end I played it safe and had chicken wing but even then couldn't decide if I liked it or not.


Japanese Crepes (Japan)
Not that wacky but Japanese crepes are certainly delicious! If you eat only one treat in Japan make it one of these! 



Nutri-Express (China)
This milky yogurt type drink is so yummy though sadly it's only available in mainland China but that might just be because the name translates into nutritious fast cum. Makes you wonder what you've been drinking...


Dog (Cambodia)
Fatty and rank, the only reason to eat this is to show you had the balls to.



Halu halu (Philippines)
With everything from cheese to ice cream halu halu really is one of the strangest concoctions I've tried. Confusing as hell as one moment it's delicious and with the next sip it's horrifying but it's refreshing and a must-try.



Balut (Philippines)
The worst thing I have eaten by far, I say I 'ate' it but actually failed miserably. Balut or balot are fertilised duck eggs. It stinks and tastes just like blood, egg and organs...Yummy!

Image @ http://www.gpwa.org/forum/eatting-filipino-balut-198757.html

Angry Birds Sushi (Thailand)
I never tried this as I'm not a massive fan of sushi but it looked so cool I had to add it to the list.


Pig blood noodle soup (Thailand)
Yep, you read that right this spicy soup is enriched with raw pig's blood and it's surprising delicious.

Image @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nam_tok_(food)

Kalamay (Philippines)
Kalamay/Calamay (or sugar in English) could not be a more perfect title for this sweet and sticky treat I had in Cebu. Totally ang sarap (delicious).

Image @ http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/calamay-from-bohol


I'll be updating this all the time so if anybody is reading this and you like it keep an eye out for it, follow or subscribe to me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment